The St Croix Chamber of Commerce (STXCC) is seeking an Executive Director. The STXCC works to promote and strengthen the community by building prosperity through a healthy economy and a strong business sector. The ideal candidate for Executive Director should possess strong management skills and be prepared to serve as a key representative and advocate for St. Croix business owners and employers.
The Executive Director will plan, organize and oversee a range of services and events for members; maintain a website that features local business news and a membership directory that is available to the public and potential new customers and clients; coordinate regular “Business After Hours” events that offer members a chance to network and share information and ideas; oversee the annual meeting and awards gala each year and assist with all other Chamber public events
At the direction of the Board of Directors, The Executive Director will take an active part in local government and advocate for laws and ordinances that benefit business, and oppose measures that restrict opportunities and increase costs for employers. The Executive Director is a familiar face at town meetings, at hearings and in high stakes political debates.
The Executive Director leads the business community’s efforts to support and enhance the towns of Christiansted and Frederiksted. The Director will conceptualize and sponsor community events and launch partnerships between government, educators and employers so that the high schools and university can align their curriculum with the skills needed by the local labor market.
The Executive Director will be instrumental in managing the operations of the Chamber by coordinating all daily activities, performing administrative functions and overseeing the entire operation. The ideal candidate will be hands on and goal oriented, capable of leading and managing employees and teams of volunteers. Strong communication and organizational skills are fundamental requirements of this position. The successful applicant must be comfortable raising funds from the business community and engaging support from the business community and local government representatives.
- Reports to the STXCC Chair of the Board, Executive Committee and the Board of Directors
- Manages all administrative functions of the organization.
- Works with the STXCC Treasurer in preparation of an annual operating budget, relating budget to program goals, subject to approval by the Board of Directors; prepares specific plans for meeting the budget; oversees expenditures within approved budget.
- Coordinates any and all community outreach activities of the Chamber as directed by the Board of Directors and its Executive Committee and manages and administers the associated marketing and communication needs
- Coordinates the work of all committees to ensure that goals are met and projects are executed properly.
- Leads the area of membership services to ensure a compelling value proposition for current and prospective members and builds member diversity from a cross section of St. Croix business owners
- Prepares monthly reports for the Board as needed; prepares and presents legislative testimony
- Collaboratively develops strategies to increase membership, promote economic development, address legislative matters, etc. with the STXCC Board and carries out these strategies
- Creates an annual action plan with the Board focused on key principles
- Initiates and assists with all fundraising efforts.
- Possesses an understanding of Virgin Islands culture, diversity and politics.
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Ability to work with a variety of individuals and organizations.
Ability to coordinate and achieve consensus among groups.
Excellent organizational skills.
Demonstrated fundraising experience.
Knowledge of cultural, political, public service issues and concerns
Some lifting and carrying
Requirements generally occurring in an office environment, including but not limited to: keyboarding, file retrieval, and communicating (verbal and written).
Critical Physical Demands of the Job:
Must be able to spend the majority of his/her day walking, sitting, standing and/or driving.
and operating office equipment
Must be able to work well under stress and meet deadlines
Proficiency in using data analysis tools and spreadsheet software
Should have a reliable source of transportation and a valid Virgin Islands driver’s license
Ability to communicate in Spanish is a plus
Bachelor’s degree in business or marketing and/or commensurate work experience in strategic planning, fundraising, budgets and finance.
Position is part time up to 30 hours weekly with some evening work, as required
Salary-commensurate with experience
Annual work performance appraisals will be prepared by the executive committee
About the St. Croix Chamber of Commerce-
The St. Croix Chamber of Commerce, established in 1929, works for small and large businesses on St. Croix Virgin Islands and supports pro-business governmental initiatives. Advocacy on behalf of the business community is a cornerstone of the Chamber’s mission. The Chamber has a membership of approximately 135 business owners in addition to individual members who share a vision of economic prosperity for St. Croix and the entire Virgin Islands. The Chamber is particularly concerned about communicating its positions about economic development, energy, taxation, tourism, education, healthcare, public safety, employment law reform, the environment and the island’s infrastructure.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, at least three professional references and any applicable documents to support prior work experience to email@example.com. Include Attention Search Committee in the subject line.